Our Mission remains the same
Thanks to the Douglas County Health Department’s swift action after learning of positive cases last Friday, May 1, they sent a team of National Guard members to Open Door Mission to do testing over the weekend, where 84% of the staff and guests experiencing homelessness were tested. There were 3% under age and 1% already tested, bringing the total to 88%.
The first and second rounds of testing have been completed with only 2 tests still pending, Open Door Mission is reporting 18 total COVID-19 positive cases. The positive cases are 6 Open Door Mission staff and 12 guests experiencing homelessness.
On Monday, May 4, UNMC’s Infectious Disease Team toured the Open Door Mission Campus to review protocols and procedures in preparation for the diagnosis. Together, we were able to establish the best locations for the quarantine and isolation rooms. With additional positive test results, the Mission will get ready for another round of testing on Monday, May 11, with the National Guard to see if the virus has spread.
Dr. Candace L. Gregory
10 Ways to Make A Difference From Home
- Make Washable COVID-19 Masks for vulnerable men, women, and children with weakened immune systems. Click here >>>
- Send Inspiration Cards to those going through a dark place as we shelter in place on campus. Click here >>>
- Make Sack Lunches for the hungry and homeless. Click here >>>
- Provide Urgent Needs during this unprecedented time as we have a critical need for many items. Click here >>>
- Fill a Hearts of Hope Coin Card to provide a nutritious meal and care for two homeless people. Click here >>>
- Make Jars Full of Sunshine with inspirational notes and sweet treats for your neediest neighbors. Click here >>>
- Fill Hygiene Comfort Kits with urgently needed personal care items. Click here >>>
- Make a Meal that is easy to make for the hungry and homeless. Click here >>>
- Pray for Open Door Mission during this time of the COVID-19 Pandemic. Click here >>>
- Make Crochet Plastic Bag Mats for the homeless sleeping on the streets. Click here >>>