At the heart of Open Door Mission is its volunteers. You, your family, your co-workers or your church can help hungry and homeless men, women and children. Working hand in hand, members of the community can make a difference at Open Door Mission.
Sign up below. Upon completion, you will be asked to sign up for a 60-minute volunteer orientation and tour, available:
- Tuesdays at 10:00 a.m.
- Wednesdays at 6:00 p.m.
- Saturdays at 3:00 p.m.
Orientation is located on Open Door Mission’s Campus
Permanent Supportive Housing
Community Room #124
2205 E Locust Street
Omaha, NE 68110
Holiday Volunteer Opportunities
|Giving Tuesday – December 2, 2014
#GivingTuesday is a day dedicated to giving back. People in the Heartland will come together for one common purpose: to celebrate generosity and to give.
|Toy Sorting and Bagging
Open Door Mission needs your help with pre-holiday toy sorting and bagging as we prepare to serve more than 6,000 homeless and needy children at Christmas.
|Prepping Food — Monday thru Friday from 9am – 11am
Open Door Mission is serving more than 2,000 hot, nutritious meals to hungry and homeless men, women, and children daily. We are in need of volunteers to help prep food on Monday thru Friday from 9am – 11am.
|Sorting Winter Wear — Day and Evening Hours Available
Open Door Mission needs volunteers to help hang up fall and winter clothing for the poor and needy that come to our Timberlake Outreach Center for assistance.
Dress Code for Volunteers:
This dress code is addressed to all volunteers. Because we serve a variety of men, and women with various moral vulnerabilities, it is important to observe a comprehensive dress code. Please comply with the following guidelines while present at Open Door Mission’s Campus.
- Long or short sleeve shirt, (a tee shirt is acceptable), pants to the knees or below.
- Closed toe shoes.
- Dresses with modest necklines, hemlines to the knees or below.
- Please no sleeveless tops, or halter tops, no tight fitting or low necklines, or bare midriffs.
A group of volunteers who want to…
- be in the know with first-hand information about what’s happening at Open Door Mission.
- be an advocate for the hungry and homeless.
- be an ambassador for Open Door Mission in their church, business, and organization.
Meetings are held the first Tuesday of every month at 11:30 a.m. in the Garland Thompson Men’s Center located at 2705 N 20th St E.
Enjoy a great lunch, hear Open Door Mission updates & a Story of Hope. Optional service projects follow the meeting.
Have a team of people who want to volunteer? At Open Door Mission, your volunteer team can help in two ways.
- Cafeteria Teams — Teams of seven to 12 people help with meal preparation, serving and cleanup.
- Banquet Teams — Teams of 25 to 30 help with meal preparation, serving and cleanup, as well as serve our clients as they sit down. This is a wonderful way to show love and dignity to those who need it most.
Teams are encouraged to commit to one meal a month, (breakfast, lunch or dinner) on a certain day — for example the first Tuesday or fourth Saturday. You can even commit to serving all meals one day a month.
Current openings and times are susceptible to change based on needs.
Please contact the volunteer department by phone at 402-422-1111 ext. 1504 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss how your team can start ministering at Open Door Mission.