At the heart of Open Door Mission is its volunteers. You, your family, your co-workers or your church can help hungry and homeless men, women and children. Working hand in hand, members of the community can make a difference at Open Door Mission.
Sign up below. Upon completion, you will be asked to sign up for a 60-minute volunteer orientation and tour, available:
- Tuesdays at 10:00 a.m.
- Thursdays at 6:00 p.m.
- Saturdays at 3:00 p.m.
Orientation is located on Open Door Mission’s Campus
Permanent Supportive Housing
Community Room #124
2205 E Locust Street
Omaha, NE 68110
Urgent Volunteer Opportunities
|Volunteers Needed for Easter Bonus Day
Open Door Mission is hosting a Bonus Day on Saturday, March 28th for low income families and individuals in the Heartland. Many of these families are one paycheck away from being homeless themselves.
|Inventory Volunteers Needed
Can you count 1, 2, 3…then we need YOU! Help us be good stewards.
Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. in March.
Open Door Mission needs your help to hang up winter coats and clothes for the poor and needy that come to our Timberlake Outreach Center for assistance. The racks are being emptied as fast as we can fill them! YOU can empower families to remain in their own homes and prevent homelessness.
|Prepping Food — Monday thru Friday from 9am – 11am
Open Door Mission is serving more than 2,000 hot, nutritious meals to hungry and homeless men, women, and children daily. We are in need of volunteers to help prep food on Monday thru Friday from 9am – 11am.
|SOS Teams — Day and Evening Hours Available
Open Door Mission needs your help Sorting, Organizing and Shelving all the gently used donations that are brought to the Timberlake Outreach Center. Help empower individuals and families to remain in their homes and prevent homelessness!
Dress Code for Volunteers:
This dress code is addressed to all volunteers. Because we serve a variety of men, and women with various moral vulnerabilities, it is important to observe a comprehensive dress code. Please comply with the following guidelines while present at Open Door Mission’s Campus.
- Long or short sleeve shirt, (a tee shirt is acceptable), pants to the knees or below.
- Closed toe shoes.
- Dresses with modest necklines, hemlines to the knees or below.
- Please no sleeveless tops, or halter tops, no tight fitting or low necklines, or bare midriffs.
A group of volunteers who want to…
- be in the know with first-hand information about what’s happening at Open Door Mission.
- be an advocate for the hungry and homeless.
- be an ambassador for Open Door Mission in their church, business, and organization.
Meetings are held the first Tuesday of every month at 11:30 a.m. in the Garland Thompson Men’s Center located at 2705 N 20th St E.
Enjoy a great lunch, hear Open Door Mission updates & a Story of Hope. Optional service projects follow the meeting.
Have a team of people who want to volunteer? At Open Door Mission, your volunteer team can help in two ways.
- Cafeteria Teams — Teams of seven to 12 people help with meal preparation, serving and cleanup.
- Banquet Teams — Teams of 25 to 30 help with meal preparation, serving and cleanup, as well as serve our clients as they sit down. This is a wonderful way to show love and dignity to those who need it most.
Teams are encouraged to commit to one meal a month, (breakfast, lunch or dinner) on a certain day — for example the first Tuesday or fourth Saturday. You can even commit to serving all meals one day a month.
Current openings and times are susceptible to change based on needs.
Please contact the volunteer department by phone at 402-422-1111 ext. 1504 or e-mail email@example.com to discuss how your team can start ministering at Open Door Mission.